Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Questions for book bloggers

Found these over at The Hidden Side of a Leaf:

What are you reading right now?

About a hundred pages in on Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. So far, I like it, and I know my sister absolutely hated however much she read of it. To each his own, I say. I like floating orbs that talk and a walled-in city of undead folk.

Do you have any idea what you'll read when you're done with that?
Yup, I'm always ready with my to-be-read pile. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams will be following, and right behind that is Selling Out by Justina Robson.

What magazines do you have in your bathroom right now?
PSM Magazine and an old issue of Interzone.

What's the worst thing you were ever forced to read?
Hmm. I really didn't enjoy The Scarlet Letter. I can't believe teachers force that upon students. Ugh, what a borefest.

What's the one book you always recommend to just about everyone?
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. And this will be an even better recommendation now that Harry Potter is finished. It's a fun YA novel where characters are read into and out of books. Trouble arises, adventure looms, and a good time occurs. Check it out!

Admit it, the librarians at your library know you on a first name basis, don't they?
Nope, only been there a few times and it was to check out the 50 cent rack.

Is there a book you absolutely love, but for some reason, people never think it sounds interesting, or maybe they read it and don't like it at all?

Well, I know many readers either love or hate Perdido Street Station by China MiƩville. Me? I LOVE it. I can see how it might not sound interesting in description (an eccentric scientist works like a madman to discover how to restore a birdman's wings), but it's just so dark and layered with originality that I can't do anything but read open-mouthed in pure adoration.

Do you read books while you eat? While you bathe? While you watch movies or TV? While you listen to music? While you're on the computer? While you're driving?
I do read on my lunch break. I'm not built for bathtubs. No, I am usually watching a movie or TV while watching a movie or TV--not reading. I like to read in silence. Unfortunately, I read far too much on my computer. And lastly, I like to read road signs while driving. Duh!

When you were little, did other children tease you about your reading habits?
Probably. Hey, some still do nowadays!

What's the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn’t put it down?
That'd be A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin. I found myself unable to put the book down at night, always whispering "Just one more POV chapter, just one more..."

No comments: