Saturday, August 18, 2007

ASIM: Best of SF review

Check out my review for Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine: Best of Science Fiction! Some good stories, and some not-that-great tales. I'm slowly getting turned off by silly stories, especially in science fiction. Fantasy I'm more prone to accepting (I blame it on all those years reading Piers Anthony and Terry Pratchett). But if the premise of an entire story set in outer space is for the protag to scrounge up a cup of coffee then that story annoys me. Give me plot! Give me conflict! Give me dilemma!

In other news, there's this post from Nathan Ballingrud. In it he talks about writing less, and paying more attention to the words one is writing so that they are ten steps above just being pumped out. I'm a fairly fast writer and I seem to never run out of story starters. I save my slowness for re-writing and the proofreading stage, where, to me, it matters most. Writing fast doesn't necessarily equal a bunch of dribble. Writing fast helps me stay focused, helps me stay in the scenes with my characters, helps me get everything down all at once before I lose momentum. But everyone has their own process, and mine is just this. At the moment, it works for me. Maybe later on I'll stop producing so much and devote more time to perfecting what I'm currently working on.

Also, this:

The word amateur comes from the Latin amator, or lover; its root is amare: to love.


I agree with wholeheartedly. I'm an amateur, and that's how I've stuck with writing and how I'll continue to stick with it for as long as possible.

No comments: