Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Nebula thoughts



Swing-and-a-miss.

Seems the 2006 Preliminary Nebula Award Ballot is up and breathing. Scanning through, I see only a few things that I've actually read, which makes choosing my top choices rather forced. From the novels category I've only read Tobias Buckell's Crystal Rain, which I really enjoyed a lot. Haven't read any of the novellas up, but I have enjoyed Paul Melko's work before. Novelettes...hmm...it's a tie between "Journey into the Kingdom" by M. Rickert and Peter S. Beagle's "Two Hearts." For short stories, my silent vote has to go to "Pip and the Fairies" by Theodora Goss, a wonderful (and quite sad) fairytale-like adventure set in modern times where the media gets involved. And I personally don't give a hopping hoot about movie scripts, no matter how amazing they can be at times. So there you have it, for now at least.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

test comment

Art said...

Speaking of awards...

My story "Servant of the Manthycore" has been nominated for the Preditors and Editors poll for best Fantasy/SF Short Story of 2006. Pleeeease vote for me! he whined.
Poll here: http://www.critters.org/predpoll/shortstorysf.shtml

Story here, if you need a refresher: http://www.theswordreview.com/item.php?sub_id=431

Thanks!