Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Inkheart buzz

I've been quietly watching the theatrical development of Cornelia Funke's Inkheart with sincere interest. Unfortunately, I can't stand it when characters are simply changed so that an audience can grasp who they are quicker. Andy Serkis, who takes the lead villian of Capricorn, the man with a heart so black it might as well be full of ink, chats a bit about how the character has changed. I don't know. Personally, I don't believe Serkis has the stage presence to make a captivating villain (unless, of course, he's gone through seven hours of makeup or is a giant gorilla or whatever else he's been before when he's not himself, you know).

And Brendan Fraser as Mo? Ugh. No, no, no. I don't care that Funke fell in love with his voice, Fraser should not be Mo. No, no, nonononononononoonno. I can totally see Fraser mucking up the role and playing it a bit too campy for me.

The film is slated for a London release in 2008. I wonder if it'll make its way over here to the States...

No comments: