Thursday, June 28, 2007

I'm in the business of misery

Lately, I've been listening to Paramore's new album, Riot!, and I'm disappointed. This is the band's follow-up to their wonderfully underappreciated debut All We Know is Falling and, as described by someone else, they now just sound like a female version of Fall Out Boy. Ugh. That's no good. The single "Misery Business" aside, the album's tracks never peak harder than a well-formed pop rock song. Gone are the screams, the dark distortion, and building momentum of such deep hitters like "My Heart" and "Conspiracy." Instead we get songs like clap-tastic "Fences" and overly trite "For a Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic." Hayley Williams' voice is both raw and captivating, and I only wished it was put to better use on the album. Nothing seems to challenge her. Let's hope their next recording strays away from radio-friendly singles to what they claim to be about: energy, emotions, and fun.

I do, however, enjoy the video for "Misery Business" very much:

No comments: