Saturday, February 16, 2008

New story in the works

I've been thinking about what I want to do about the upcoming quarter for WOTF. I guess I knew all along that I wanted to write a new story since nothing in my collection really called to me. So, a few minutes before Thursday's LOST came on, a first sentence came flying out of nowhere and smacked me across the face. You know how they can be, sometimes.

I didn't get to do much with it until this morning though. So, 678 words done for now and I'm digging the piece already. Modified humans, annoying tourists, and air shows. Woo. I've had to remind myself a few times not to get too vulgar or crude with the piece though, considering the market I'm aiming this piece at. I've also set my word count a little high (5K or 6K, probably) if only because they actually like longer stories than not.

But now I have to pay bills, renew my car insurance, clean, and do other not-fun things like that. Maybe more later though...

2 comments:

Neil Richard said...

Air shows. Didn't see that one coming.

But I feel you on the part with the opening line smacking you in the face. Granted, mine wasn't so much the opening line as it was the opening scene, but you get the idea.

Now I just need to push through where I stopped to see what develops with my leading man.

Paul Abbamondi said...

Ha, yeah. I myself wasn't expecting them either but then a character wanted to know about them...so there ya go. First lines are the best part of writing, to me. Best of luck with your piece!