Thursday, February 14, 2008

An honorable mention

I received a phone call last night from Joni Labaqui of the WOTF contest letting me know my submission was an Honorable Mention for the first quarter of the year. I didn't get to return her call till this evening, but man...it's weird to be talking on the phone about a story. A story that didn't win, let alone, but still...HMs aren't too shabby. I'll keep trying.

My name, along with other winners, should be up at the blog a little later on.

So, here's the stats: 4 submissions total (3 HMs, 1 Semi-Finalist)

I haven't sent in anything yet for the next quarter. Deadline is postmarked by March 31. I don't really feel like anything in my inventory is a good fit currently for WOTF. Too many curse words, too much sex, too much creepy creepiness. I might have to write something new. Me needs to think this one over a bit more...

5 comments:

Neil Richard said...

I think I need a wierd last name. Abbamondi and Ausema. Maybe it just needs to start with the letter A.

I feel honored to be in your presence.

Paul Abbamondi said...

And to think that when I first began writing and submitting stories I was worried my name was too...different...or too long to ever get published. I even jotted down a few pseudonyms that will never see the light of day.

How about Neil Ashanktaiiiantiba?

Neil Richard said...

Considering "Ashanktaiiiantiba" can't be found by Google, it should be unique enough. I can even shorten it to "Ash" if need be.

Daniel Ausema said...

Hey, congrats to you too! I'm also not sure what I have that might be a good fit for the next quarter, though I should hear back on several pretty soon that might (usually my stories go out first to Clarkesworld and Strange Horizons unless they don't seem like a fit for those at all...or are too long for Clarkesworld).

Paul Abbamondi said...

Thanks, Daniel! Yeah, I try and send out my best subs to a few online markets first, waiting until they come back and then it is off to WOTF for them.

This upcoming quarter, I'm writing a story specifically with WOTF in mind. We'll see how it goes...