Sunday, July 15, 2007

Novel gazing fun

Some people are musing about the first and last lines of their novels. I've started a bunch of those cruel beasts, but have yet to finish one. I'm working on changing that. So, for lack of anything better to post, here's the opening lines of several novels-in-progress.

From Fireworker (dark fantasy):

I was awake when the perfunctory whistle of acrid notes echoed throughout Taam Mur.

From Makahl (sword and sorcery fantasy):

Brown, sunless branches stretched and shrouded the protruding rocks that marked the entrance to Heakol Gulumn.

From Moonship to Morrow (futuristic sci-fi):

The liftshaft hummed and climbed fourteen floors.

From Summersong (space opera on speed):

The Kakien cargo ship, Summersong, docked on Rabb Four's sole landing field, a circular speck of desert that did little to stand out.

From The Periwinkle Prince (high fantasy):

"Blue?! Whaddaya mean he's blue?!"

From The Spellcrafters (high fantasy):

"Defend yourself, boy!"

None that really do much. I like to start with action and setting. Action is key, and possibly the best starting point as it ultimately leads to something else happening. The problem with some of these above is that they're fairly bland. They have action, and yet they don't really do anything other then get things going. I'm actually not a huge fan of novels opening with dialog so it'll come as no surprise that I really hate those last two listed. I also, apparently, like to namedrop. Ugh.

Lately, I've been feeling that everything I write is crap. I hope this is just a bump in the road. It's really slowing me down.

No comments: