Sunday, July 08, 2007

More movies!

Let's see what I've checked out this week...

Waking Life. I really wanted to like this, I really did. It's a digitally rotoscoped and animated film, kind of like A Scanner Darkly, and it follows a young man that seems to be constantly stuck in a state of lucid dreaming. From there is weaves this way and that through overly dramatic philosophical discussions on life, the state of being, and existentialism. There's a couple neat tricks used with the animation, but other than that I just couldn't get into it.

X: The Destiny War. I actually watched this first back in high school after a weekend of Akira and Ghost in the Shell. Given what came before, I thought it to be a decent film that had some interesting aspects to it. Now, many moons later, it's still a solid and fun film. Plot is fairly straightforward, but the best parts are the action-heavy battle scenes, which eventually lead up to the coup de grâce involving Kamui and Fūma.

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. Yeah, this wasn't that good. Maybe it's not my sort of humor--the kind that works only off of making other people uncomfortable or humiliating them--and our wide-eyed protagonist really got on my nerves by the middle of the movie. I did, however, enjoy the chicken.

Up next, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix!

No comments: